Sunday, April 8, 2007

More Tweaks

I have continued to work on the crunluath (and will, for awhile) with emphasis on Winkie's exercises with a metronome. Practice, practice, practice, correctly, correctly, correctly. I'm getting more comfortable playing the crunluath, now I have to refine it.

Still working on the high G with an A gracenote. The gracenote should be a chirp, just as the G gracenote. I'm continuing to work on this.

Taorluath doubling. Last bar of each line, the last 2 notes are a cut A and then a D gracenote on A. Cut the first A, don't round.

I recorded myself several times and reviewed. When I get the adrenaline going, I don't blow steady. I've been working on steady blowing when I'm pumped up. During the tune, I noticed E was the main culprit, just a little unsteady. Also, don't play too fast when the adrenaline is going. I can also start with the crunluath, play the whole tune and end with the urlar with no problem with endurance.

I used a Naill ABW chanter with a McCann reed and it was at 475 on Monday. I spoke with Winkie about using an old Hardie chanter that tuned at 468. She likes the lower tuned pipes, but commented the judges don't. The lower tuned chanter would sound dull to the judges.

Next lesson is on Monday, April 9 at about 8:15 pm. That will be 4 in a row, a record. Loch Norman is April 21.

No comments: